Construction begins on a Tirrik, an Iain Oughtred design

We are just getting started on another Tirrik. We built one a few years ago which was partially decked and included a motor well for a small outboard motor. Since we build to a customer’s specifications, this one will be built as an open boat.

Our local source was unable to supply us with the 9mm Okoume plywood we like to use, so we have ordered it from another firm out of state.

While waiting for the 9mm there is plenty to be done. I laid out the stem patterns on the 8/4 Sapele plank, and planed the plank to the 1 1/2″ thickness required for the inner stems.

Stem Patterns

Laying out the patterns for the stems

The patterns made short work of shaping the stem parts on the bandsaw. A bit of fussing with a block plane and they were ready for gluing up. The outer stems will be left roughed-out until they can be fitted onto the planked hull.

Gluing Inner Stems

Gluing Inner Stems

The keelson is also sapele, cut about 1/2″ long at each end to make alignment easier. I plunge-cut the slot for the centerboard on the table saw, finishing up the ends of the slot with a jigsaw. This is fast and accurate. Best of all, after planking and fitting the keel I can use a flush-trim router bit to trim the planking and keel to match the keelson cutout exactly.

Fitting the Keelson

Fitting the Keelson

The keelson mated nicely with the heels of the stems, and with center-lines marked on all components, alignment was a snap. One of the advantages of lofting a boat vs. using full size patterns is that when patterns are used, and something doesn’t fit quite right (or at all!) the builder really doesn’t know where the problem originates. Could be the patterns, maybe the set-up, maybe the components. When a lofting is made, and the parts are true to the lofting, they pretty much have to fit. If they don’t, the only place to look for errors is in the set-up.

Heel aft stem

Heel aft stem

A quick note: When I mention “up” or “top”, it refers to the boat as if it were upright, even though it won’t be for a while yet.

I have chamfered the inboard edges of the inner stems, and the upper edge of the keelson. On the stems the chamfer dies out as it approaches the sheer so the cutout in the breasthooks is simpler.

I also cut out blanks for the rudder and centerboard (four layers of 6mm), and the centerboard trunk sides.

Tomorrow the epoxy will be cured enough to bevel the keelson and stems in anticipation of hanging planks.

This entry was posted in Boat Construction - Tirrik and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.